Thursday, October 8, 2026

Book Review – Catriona

 

Catriona by Robert Louis Stevenson continues the story of David Balfour after the events of Kidnapped. The story follows David as he becomes involved in a political case related to the Appin murder. During his journey, he meets Catriona Drummond, a young woman who later becomes very important to him. The story is not only about adventure, but also about politics, love, family, and David’s personal problems. I think the story feels different from a typical adventure novel because the characters spend a lot of time dealing with their relationships and the problems around them.

The main things I got from this book are justice, love, loyalty, and growing up. I think David is a character who really shows the idea of growing up. At first, he is still young and does not understand many things about the world around him. However, after facing different problems, he becomes more careful and responsible. I also like the way David tries to help James Stewart. Even though he knows that getting involved can cause problems for himself, he still wants to find the truth. For me, this shows that David is not only brave but also has a strong sense of justice.

I also found the relationship between David and Catriona interesting. Their relationship is not immediately simple or romantic. They have different problems and situations that make their relationship difficult. I like this because it makes their relationship feel more realistic. Catriona is also not just a character who is there because of David. She has her own personality and problems. In my opinion, this makes her more interesting and gives her an important role in the story.

One thing I like about the book is the historical setting. The story takes place in Scotland, and the political situation makes the story more interesting. I can see that the characters’ lives are affected by the political problems around them. The adventure parts are also enjoyable because David has to face different situations and sometimes has to make difficult choices. However, I think some parts of the story are quite slow, especially when the story focuses too much on politics or long conversations.

For me, the biggest problem with this book is the language. Although the reading-ease score says that it is fairly easy, some expressions still feel old-fashioned because the novel was written in the nineteenth century. There are also some Scottish words and historical references that I did not immediately understand. Sometimes I had to read a part more than once to understand what was happening. I also think it would be easier to understand the story if I had read Kidnapped first, because Catriona continues David’s story from the previous novel.

Overall, I think Catriona is an interesting book, especially for readers who like adventure, romance, and historical stories. What I enjoyed most was seeing how David changes throughout the story. He becomes more mature because of the problems he experiences. I also enjoyed the relationship between David and Catriona because it adds a more personal side to the story. Even though some parts were difficult and slow for me, I still think Catriona is worth reading. As an English Literature student, I also think this book is interesting to review because it has many things to discuss, especially the characters, historical setting, conflict, and themes of justice and love.

Ika Salwa Nuranita - 30802400010

1 comment:

  1. I think the 'I' perspective gives a more personal-trustable touch to your review. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Review Book | The Death of Ivan Ilyich

       Tiara Zahra Fauzia Failika (30802400053) Title: The Death of Ivan Ilyich  Author: Leo Tolstoy  Genre: Classic Fiction / Philosophical...